Sunday, October 10, 2010

Microsoft "Who needs Blu-Ray?"

Microsoft has offered its most strongly worded prediction yet that Blu-ray will be extinct before it can become the de facto disc format of the video games industry.

MS has previously told CVG that it isn't interested in adopting Blu-ray for Xbox as it instead considers digital media the long-term 'future of home entertainment'.


Now UK Xbox boss Stephen McGill has claimed that the format will be "passed by" before it can make an impact.

"I think people may have spoken about [Xbox's lack of a Blu-ray drive] originally, but that's long gone," he told X360A.

"I think people now recognise what a smart decision it was to keep the pricing low, and actually Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format. People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay. So, who needs Blu-ray?"

McGill's comments come after developers such as Capcom and Mercury Steam have discussed the "problem" of creating games on multiple DVD discs for Xbox 360.

13 comments:

  1. Microsoft are just being a bunch of babies after losing the HD war. If something has become the trend, adopt it, don't stick in the past. Nothing will pass Blu-Ray for 5 years at the very least. Not nearly have enough people have the kind of internet connection to stream hi-def, and it's a format that is just now taking off. Microsoft is essentially skipping a gravy train just for the principle of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to be forced to agree with Microsoft, digital media delivery such as Steam is the wave of the future. It offers better copyright protection and instant delivery.

    I am going to be very sad to see the boxes disappear, I have been collecting them for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 360 is a great game console instead of making dics etc they should just keep the game on demand with up to date games not platinum hits and such

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's rare that I actually agree with Microsoft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Microsoft I guess, but I think it'll be a while before it's all digital, so I'm not sure it's a smart move on their part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm actually agreeing with Microsoft. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My former manager and I got in arguments about PS3 vs 360, it always came down to price vs bluray. Im kinda in the 360 camp.

    ReplyDelete